Saturday, April 10, 2010

Internet or not internet

This morning, an emission showed us the first usage of Internet, Web (through mobile telephone) in a village in Nigeria, then how the same week, with difficulty a South Korean family from a city, consented to live without Web at home (not work and school too) without the Web.

The Nigerians spoke about how much more Information they can have through the connection. But the price, if not paid by BBC would have been prohibitive for them. Looking for Information about the World.

The Korean families, use their computers to Social Network, to program, to play, to order food and other things, to so much more then just information!

In 1990, when I first used Internet, it was also to find Information for my job, in my workplace. I seldom posted a comment even.

Five years later, it was already to publish my stories and journal fragments to discussion groups. It was only in 2004 that I discovered the magic world of blogs, and immediately published my first, and the magic world of Flickr to post my images. Very soon, I adhered to groups on Flickr and even formed my own group, which now has more then 2500 members.

Then come the first purchases through the web, and of course emails to friends all over the world. More I go, more usage I find for the Web. Publish videos, sideshows at the beginning, and nowadays also pod-casts, voice only.

It is a joy to interact, but also to see how many have downloaded the stories I have told or looked at the images I published.

The web through me into the world.

2 comments:

  1. It makes everyone a published author/artist/musician/speaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sur le fond, je suis d'accord : Internet nous a ouvert de nombreuses portes souvent inaccessibles pour la plupart. Mais il a son revers... Trop de personne s'enferme derrière le virtuel et perdent peu à peu contact avec le réel. Facile d'avoir des centaines de contacts que certains osent nommer "amis" sur la toile. Combien de véritables amis réels ont-ils dans leurs vies ? Comme la plupart des gens, pas plus de 5 et même de moins en moins au regard du temps qu'ils préfèrent passer sur le net plutôt que de les fréquenter.
    Avec le temps, après l'euphorie des premières années, j'arrive peu à peu à me détacher d'internet et parfois même des semaines entières et sincèrement, je n'en suis pas peu fière.

    ReplyDelete