Monday, May 19, 2008

French or Hungarian?

I have been living in France for the last 45 years and I think in French, speak and write in French, even in my journal.

But in my heart, somewhere deep, I remained still Hungarian.

My culture, the one of my youth, was Hungarian: that remains is us, wherever we go, as much as we distance ourselves from our roots.

Tulips represent "Hungary" for me also, as the red, white and green colours, and the songs and poems of my youth are never forgotten, even it takes years I have no occasion to speak that language.

I feel "central European" and "European" in short. In old times, people did travel and did live in different countries, or from necessity or to discover more, enriching each others cultures. I hope, we'll begin again more and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment